A Nobody (ノーバディ Nōbadi ) is the body and soul of a strong-willed individual who has lost their heart. While this enemy type makes its first appearance in Kingdom Hearts II, members of Organization XIII appeared in Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, albeit as unclassified opponents.
The Nobody emblem is a splintered, upside-down heart that resembles Terra's Mark as Xemnas remembers it. It appears for the first time in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, in which it is emblazoned on the Specter's head and designates sleights used by the Riku Replica and members of Organization XIII.
Between Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts
Needing vessels for his plan to create thirteen darknesses, Xehanort tricks Aeleus, Dilan, Even and Ienzo into giving up their hearts as part of their research into the nature of the heart and the Heartless, using his Keyblade to extract their hearts. When Braig questions his intentions, Xehanort simply extracts his heart next. Following this, he turns the Keyblade on himself and extracts his own heart. This creates the first six members of Organization XIII, who are commanded by Xemnas, Xehanort's Nobody, to recruit more members into their ranks.
Sora becomes a Heartless in Hollow Bastion. This creates two Nobodies: Roxas and Naminé. The former appears in Twilight Town and joins Organization XIII, while the latter finds herself in Castle Oblivion and in Organization XIII's custody.
On a return trip to Hollow Bastion, Sora battles and defeats Xemnas.
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Marluxia, the Organization's Number XI, leads Sora and his friends to Castle Oblivion. There, he forces Naminé to tamper with Sora's memories in an attempt to gain the Keyblade's power. When Riku awakens in Castle Oblivion's lower levels, he faces some of the Organization's founding members and learns Nobodies belong to neither the light nor darkness.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Organization XIII uses Roxas and Xion to collect hearts. This is in accordance with its plan to create Kingdom Hearts, which will enable its members to become whole again. The Organization also searches for the Chamber of Waking and develops the Replica Program.
Roxas, who discusses being a Nobody with his friend Axel, battles Dusks and Samurais in a series of three trials at The World That Never Was: Mission 10, Mission 33, and Mission 71. He confronts more when he attempts to abandon Organization XIII.
Kingdom Hearts II
After Roxas is placed in The Other Twilight Town, Axel is ordered to retrieve him. The Organization's Number VIII teams up with several lesser Nobodies in an attempt to get his friend back.
Sora, Donald, and Goofy learn about Nobodies from Yen Sid at the Mysterious Tower. They clash with these foes multiple times, and they destroy the surviving members of Organization XIII: Xemnas, Xigbar, Xaldin, Saïx, Demyx, and Luxord.
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
In The World That Never Was, a resurrected Xemnas tells Sora that Nobodies can grow new hearts and feel emotions. It is revealed this fact was deliberately kept from the other members of Organization XIII, who were meant to inherit Master Xehanort's heart through Kingdom Hearts.
Ienzo reveals to Lea that when a Heartless and Nobody are destroyed and their hearts find their vessels, they are returned to the place they became a Heartless and Nobody. However, if that world is unavailable or otherwise destroyed, they would appear in Traverse Town.
Kingdom Hearts III
Xigbar, Saïx, Vexen, Demyx, Luxord, Marluxia and Larxene return to Nobodies to become members of the real Organization XIII; Xemnas's heart is extracted from the past and placed in a replica, so he may also serve as a member. Xigbar, Luxord, Marluxia, and Larxene encounter Sora throughout the worlds on their respective missions to find and protect the New Seven Hearts and to find the Black Box. Two new breeds of lesser Nobody, Reaper and Ninja are also introduced as adversaries.
At the Keyblade Graveyard, swarms of Nobodies are called in by Xemnas to help the Heartless and Unversed wear down the Seven Guardians of Light. After Terra-Xehanort is repelled by the Lingering Will, another wave of Nobodies is summoned by Dark Riku and Xigbar along with more Heartless. Thanks to the combined efforts of the traitorous Vexen and Demyx, along with Ansem the Wise, Roxas is revived using a replica body. Luxord, Marluxia, and Larxene are defeated, beginning their re-completion again.
Lesser Nobodies are humanoid enemies that are primarily grey in coloration. They possess a certain elasticity that enables them to contort their bodies into a variety of shapes. An often overlooked feature of lesser Nobodies is their lack of eyes; though some such as the Dragoon and Samurai emulate eyes. This means Nobodies are blind and rely on their other senses. Lesser Nobodies bear the Nobody emblem. In Kingdom Hearts III, Nobodies have a metallic sheen.
Nobodies who possess the strongest of wills, like the members of Organization XIII, are able to retain their human forms. Their bodies lack the Nobody emblem.
Gummi Nobodies come in a variety of colors and have streamlined, machine-like bodies. Like lesser Nobodies, they also bear the Nobody emblem.
Unlike their Heartless counterparts, the Nobodies are not classified by method of creation, but instead by rank. High-ranking Nobodies generally serve a specific Organization member, while low-ranking Nobodies are used by all members. Another distinct difference is that Nobodies are all naturally born, unlike the Heartlless who have the artificially-created Emblem variety; thus this makes the Nobody emblem a natural feature on lesser Nobodies.
Nobodies are created when strong-willed individuals lose their hearts and fall to darkness. The bodies that remain give Nobodies their form, while the abandoned souls give them life. People with the strongest wills are able to retain human form when they become Nobodies. Despite being formed by the discarded body, it appears that Nobodies are primarily defined by the heart that leaves said body; Naminé is considered the Nobody of Kairi due to being the result of Kairi’s heart leaving Sora’s body when he became a Heartless, and Xemnas is made of Terra’s body and soul, but is more strongly tied to Xehanort due to Master Xehanort’s heart having left when Terra-Xehanort gave in to darkness.
Nobodies are said to be incapable of experiencing emotion. While they tend to retain the memories they made as humans, the feelings they display are merely an act. Memories alone enable Nobodies to correctly respond to the situations in which they find themselves. Despite this, Nobodies are able to think for themselves and are organized, whereas the Heartless are more instinctual enemies, generally attacking opponents in massive swarms, relying on sheer strength of numbers to defeat them. Nobodies feel physical pain, and in the Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories manga, they are seen reading, cooking, or doing jigsaw puzzles in an attempt to fill their emptiness. Innate behaviors and preferences are retained, such as Axel's fondness for sea-salt ice cream and Vexen's obsession with research. Despite claims that Nobodies don’t age, existing as they were at the time of becoming a Nobody, it's evident that humanoid Nobodies can still age, as shown with Zexion, who became a Nobody as a child, and Naminé.
It is possible for Nobodies to grow new hearts. Master Xehanort and Xemnas use this to their advantage, and Sora learns this when he experiences Roxas's pain first-hand at the end of his hijacked Mark of Mastery exam. In Sora's words, one must "have a heart to cry."  Should Nobodies without memories like Roxas and Naminé regrow hearts, they become entirely new people from their original selves.
When defeated, Nobodies fade back into darkness. Their defeat, in combination with the destruction of their original selves' Heartless, restores their human forms. Completed once more, the Nobodies' memories remain intact. However, their human form will still have to deal with any trauma resulting from the attack that destroyed their physical body.In Sora's case, whose Nobody gained a heart of its own, he does not retain any memory from their Nobody consciously. Because of such, a running gag is that those who knew Roxas in the first Organization mistakenly believe that Sora retains memory of Roxas's time with them. This led to the members of the original Organization XIII repeatedly calling Sora "Roxas", much to his annoyance and confusion.
Nobodies born in special circumstances such as Naminé and Roxas are able to exist at the same time as their original selves, however they can experience unexpected physical reactions when in close proximity to them, as when Roxas is overcome by fatigue and passes out when near Sora's location in Castle Oblivion.
Beings with hearts of pure light, such as the Princesses of Heart and Ventus, are unable to produce a Nobody when their hearts leave their bodies, except in the aforementioned special circumstances (as is the case with Naminé). This is because their hearts lacked darkness within them, so their bodies and souls were unable to leave the Realm of Light, leaving them in a comatose state.
High-ranking Nobodies can be reduced to a lower rank. Members of Organization XIII consider being turned into a Dusk a form of punishment.
List of Nobodies
- All high-ranking Nobodies are named after Jobs from the Final Fantasy series.
- Nobodies listed in bold serve as bosses.
- Organization XIII
- Real Organization XIII
- The World That Never Was
- Dream Eater
Notes and references
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Ultimania, Interviewer: "Where did the Organization's coat and mark come from?" / Tetsuya Nomura: "One year after Birth by Sleep, Xehanort, as well as five other apprentices toss aside their hearts. Then the Nobody Xemnas was born, and the Organization which he creates take a lot of things from his memories, as a human. But as Xemnas had two people who he was, Terra and Master Xehanort, he takes from both of their memories. [...] The Nobody mark used by the Organization is a similar shape to the mark Terra used." Translation via Lissar.
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Xemnas: "A heart is never lost for good. There may have been variances in our dispositions, but a number of us unquestionably showed signs of a burgeoning replacement. Once born, the heart can also be nurtured. Our experiments creating Heartless were attempts to control the mind, and convince it to renounce its sense of self. But understand, one can banish the heart from the body, but the body will try to replace it the first chance it gets, for as many times as it takes. And so I knew, even after we were divided into Heartless and Nobodies, it was just a temporary separation." / Sora: "Why, then? Why did you lie to them and tell them they had no hearts?" / Xigbar: "Xemnas and Xehanort formed the Organization for a specific reason—round up a bunch of empty husks, hook them up to Kingdom Hearts, then fill them all with the exact same heart and mind. Translation—they were gonna turn all the members into Xehanort."
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Ienzo: "When someone who's lost their heart is recompleted, they should return to the place where it happened. And if that world is unavailable for whatever reason, a refuge is made for them in the realm between—a world called "Traverse Town". They would be sent there."
- Kingdom Hearts II, Xemnas: "We who were turned away by both light and dark—never given a choice?"
- Kingdom Hearts II, Yen Sid: "A spirit that goes on even as its body fades from existence---for you see, Nobodies do not truly exist at all."
- Kingdom Hearts II, Yen Sid: "Nobodies may seem to have feelings, but this is a ruse---they only pretend to have hearts. You must not be deceived!"
- Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, Xaldin: "You act as though you have a heart. When was the last time any of us felt anything?"
- Kingdom Hearts II, Yen Sid: "While Heartless act on instinct, Nobodies function in a higher manner. They can think and plan."
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Roxas: "Sea-salt is Axel's favorite."
- Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, Vexen:' "I'm a scientist; experiments are what I do, yes."
- New Famitsu Interview with Tetsuya Nomura!, Nomura: "Nobodies don’t age; they exist as they were at the time of becoming a Nobody."
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Xemnas: "One can banish the heart from the body, but the body will try to replace it the first chance it gets, for as many times as it takes. And so I knew even after we were divided into Heartless and Nobodies, it was just a temporary separation."
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Sora: "You know don't you? That you all have hearts? Roxas, Axel and Naminé, and that other girl. I felt what Roxas felt. They laughed, they got mad, and they grieved. You have to have a heart to cry."
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Naminé: "None of us imagined that they would fight so hard to become their own people."
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Roxas: "I am me! Nobody else!"
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Roxas: "I know, because I'm you." / Sora: "No, Roxas; you're you. We're not the same."
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Ultimania, Interviewer: "Why did Roxas faint in Castle Oblivion on Day 297?" / Tetsuya Nomura: "Because he had gotten too close to both Sora and Ventus, his 'real self'." Translation via Lissar.
|Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory|
|Kairi - Sora - Roxas - Aqua - Riku|
Donald Duck - Goofy - Axel - Xion - Terra - Ventus - Meow Wow - Komory Bat - Mickey Mouse
Hercules - Aladdin - Ariel - Peter Pan - Beast - Fa Mulan - Simba - Stitch
|Xehanort - Ansem, Seeker of Darkness - Xemnas - Maleficent|
|Aeleus - Ansem the Wise - Even - Fairy Godmother - Ienzo - Nameless Star - Terra-Xehanort - Yen Sid|
|Mysterious Tower - Radiant Garden - The Final World|
|An Oath to Return - Another Key - Key Art - Keyblade - Museum - Rhythm Points - Story Scene - The End - VS Battle - World Tour|
|Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory - Special Disc - Unnamed tracks|
|Artwork - Bosses - Enemies - Items - Trophy - Songs|
|I. Xemnas | II. Xigbar | III. Xaldin | IV. Vexen | V. Lexaeus | VI. Zexion | VII. Saïx | VIII. Axel | IX. Demyx | X. Luxord | XI. Marluxia | XII. Larxene | XIII. Roxas|
|Sorcerer - Sniper - Dragoon - Berserker - Assassin - Dancer - Gambler - Reaper - Ninja - Samurai|
Dusk - Creeper - Specter - Twilight Thorn - Fake Vivi
|Naminé - Absent Silhouettes - Organization XIII's Replica Data - Anti-Saïx - Data-Roxas - Data-Naminé|