Before Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
|This information is based on alternate scenes or materials and is not considered canon within the overall plot of the series.|
|The first Unversed are born soon after Vanitas is created by Master Xehanort. Vanitas attempts to destroy the creatures, but he merely absorbs them. Their negativity worsens his mental state, and this, in turn, spawns more Unversed. A vicious cycle begins that does not end until Ventus's damaged heart contacts Sora's new one. After this, Vanitas leaves Ventus and is forced to fight more Unversed. The pain and suffering this causes him leads him to submit to Master Xehanort and agree to help him forge the χ-blade.|
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
After Master Eraqus conducts Terra and Aqua's Mark of Mastery exam, the Unversed are unleashed in accordance with Master Xehanort's ambitions. In each of the worlds they plague, the creatures are attracted to negativity. They ultimately cease to be after Ventus fuses with Vanitas, who reveals the Unversed only existed to make Ventus stronger.
Mickey later told Donald and Goofy about fighting the Unversed and how they were empowered by negative emotions.
Kingdom Hearts III
As a result of Master Xehanort's plan to gather thirteen darknesses for the second Keyblade War, Vanitas is brought forward in time to clash with the Seven Guardians of Light. The Unversed, and Vanitas's control over them, return as well. Intrigued with how negative emotions are exploited in the world of Monstropolis, Vanitas sends hordes of Unversed to that world. On the Laugh Floor at the Monsters Inc. factory, the Unversed utilize the company's former business model of deploying Scarers into children's bedrooms to collect scream energy, allowing them to accumulate enough negative emotion to reconstitute Vanitas's heart.
Unversed back up the Heartless and Nobodies at the Keyblade Graveyard.
After Vanitas's defeat at the hands of Sora and Ventus, the Unversed cease to exist once more.
Unversed come in many shapes, sizes, and colors. A key component of their design is emotion, thus their red eyes are made to resemble laughing, angry, and crying faces. All Unversed, with the exception with the Flood, are emblazoned with an insignia that represents a heart that expresses emotion.
- "It happened when you and I were split into two. The negativity took shape as these monsters. They are what I feel—a horde of fledgling emotions under my control."
- —Vanitas, explaining the Unversed to Ventus
Unversed are "those who are not well-versed in their own existences". They are the result of the negative emotions produced when Ventus and Vanitas were separated by Master Xehanort. The Unversed are extensions of Vanitas himself, thus they obey his every command. They only exist if Vanitas also exists, and if Vanitas is destroyed, they also are destroyed. However, certain Unversed like Cursed Coach and Symphony Master were drawn to the negative emotions of Lady Tremaine and focused on trying to carry out her wishes to harm Cinderella.
List of Unversed
- Unversed listed in italics are exclusive to Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix.
- Unversed listed in bold serve as bosses.
Notes and references
- The Unversed were once publicly known as "Unbirths" due to a fan mistranslation.
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Eraqus: "All the more reason, then, for concern—for he tells me the Princesses of Heart are in danger. Not only from the forces of darkness, as you may assume...but also from a new threat—one that feeds on negativity. Fledgling emotions that have taken monster form—Yen Sid calls them the "Unversed.""
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Vanitas: "I released them in all the worlds I could, hoping to lure you away from home and isolate you from your Master. We needed to make you stronger. The Unversed were the perfect opponents. And better yet, no matter how many times you defeat them, their negativity flows right back into me."
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Ultimania, Interviewer: "There was a new enemy this time called the Unversed, how did you think them up?" / Testuya Nomura: "Their design concept was "emotions", so we see them with smiling faces, angry faces, crying faces... they were designed with many different expressions. The Unversed mark is also meant to be a heart that expresses emotions." Translation via Lissar
- Weekly Famitsu, Interviewer: "What can you tell us about the "Unversed" enemies?" / Tetsuya Nomura: "The English name will be "Unversed". The meaning is "those that are not [well]-versed in life" and they grow out of negative emotions. You'll understand the meaning of this when you play the game." Translation via Krexia.
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Aqua: "The darkness in their hearts overtook them."
Archraven | Axe Flapper | Blobmob | Blue Sea Salt | Bruiser | Buckle Bruiser | Chrono Twister | Flood | Glidewinder | Hareraiser | Jellyshade | Mandrake | Monotrucker | Prize Pod | Red Hot Chili | Scrapper | Shoegazer | Sonic Blaster | Spiderchest | Tank Toppler | Thornbite | Triple Wrecker | Vile Phial | Wild Bruiser | Yellow Mustard
|Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory|
|Kairi - Sora - Roxas - Aqua - Riku|
Donald Duck - Goofy - Axel - Xion - Terra - Ventus - Meow Wow - Komory Bat - Mickey Mouse
Hercules - Aladdin - Ariel - Peter Pan - Beast - Fa Mulan - Simba - Stitch
|Xehanort - Ansem, Seeker of Darkness - Xemnas - Maleficent|
|Aeleus - Ansem the Wise - Even - Fairy Godmother - Ienzo - Nameless Star - Terra-Xehanort - Yen Sid|
|Mysterious Tower - Radiant Garden - The Final World|
|An Oath to Return - Another Key - Key Art - Keyblade - Museum - Rhythm Points - Story Scene - The End - VS Battle - World Tour|
|Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory - Special Disc - Unnamed tracks|
|Artwork - Bosses - Enemies - Items - Trophy - Songs|