Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
|Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix|
|キングダムハーツII FINAL MIX|
Kingudamu Hātsu II FINAL MIX
|Release date(s)||March 29, 2007|
|Genre||Action role-playing game|
|Game modes||Single player|
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix is a Japanese reissue of Kingdom Hearts II that uses primarily English voice acting with Japanese text, subtitles and controls, as well as bonus content. The PlayStation 2 version of it is exclusive to Japan and was released as a part of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+ compilation, along with Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories.
The game was remastered in HD and released outside of Japan for the first time as part of Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX on PlayStation 3. It was later released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as part of the Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX.
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix was rumored in middle-late 2006. Due to the first game receiving the Final Mix treatment, it was speculated that the same would happen to its sequel. During an interview with Weekly Shōnen Jump, Nomura did not confirm its development, but he did state that if a Final Mix version were to be created, he would use a "trump card". He was also considering an international release, but no definite plans were in place.
Much like the previous installment, the default language is English with Japanese subtitles. However, the new scenes were also dubbed in Japanese due to most of the new scenes featuring Organization members that have previously never been voiced. The song Sanctuary also replaced Passion as the official theme of the game.
In September 2006, Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix was finally announced, and released on March 29, 2007, hitting stores all across Japan. No release in the United States or other countries were announced, despite the topic being popular across Kingdom Hearts-related forums. There were rumors of a fall 2008 release in EGM magazine and 1up.com, although this did not pan out. The director of the Kingdom Hearts series, Tetsuya Nomura, has quoted, "The Final Mix games are only Japanese exclusives. In due time, I may release a Final Mix into other countries, but Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix are not my choice."
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories are also notable for being the final games Tetsuya Nomura made for the PlayStation 2. They were initially bundled together as part of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+.
Initial previews and announcements
Scans of magazine articles and preview videos appeared on numerous websites in the weeks leading up to the game's release. They included additional scenes involving the three mysterious armored knights at the end of the Kingdom Hearts II secret ending. Later screenshots showed one of these three knights in combat with Sora, Donald, and Goofy. The being serves as a secret boss with incredible power and an enormous amount of HP, much like Unknown from Kingdom Hearts Final Mix. The preview videos also showed that battling Roxas would be possible as opposed to the cutscene in the original game. Square also revealed that data replicas of each member of Organization XIII could be challenged in a secret area at Hollow Bastion and fought independently of the storyline.
Voice-acting on Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix was announced to be mostly in English, with Japanese subtitles, like Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, but the new scenes used Japanese voice-acting when viewed in Theater Mode and were voiceless in-game with Japanese subtitles. This is most likely due to the new scenes featuring Organization XIII members from Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, who did not yet have English voice actors.
- A new difficulty mode called Critical Mode.
- Compared to Standard, enemies inflict twice the damage.
- Except for the Mushroom XIII, damage dealt to enemies is 1.25× compared to Standard Mode.
- Several abilities are granted on the third day (Reaction Boost, Finishing Plus, Draw, 2x Lucky Lucky, MP Hastera and No Experience).
- Roxas's initial AP is 50.
- AP increases by increments of 3 instead of 2.
- Compared to Standard and Proud, HP and MP quantities from Bonus Levels are halved (Sora only gets 60 HP instead of 120 HP).
- Compared to Standard and Proud, EXP gained is three-quarters of the normal amount.
- Save file displays "Critical Mode".
- Unlocking the "Birth by sleep" video just requires winning the Gold Crown.
- In the PS2 Browser screen, there is a symbol attached to the save data file on the memory card.
- A new Drive Form called "Limit Form" has abilities from Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, and also bears resemblance to Sora's outfit from the original game.
- Filling the Drive Gauge is easier and the maximum level for the Drive Gauge has increased from seven to nine.
- A new mini-game called Puzzle, which unlocks special items.
- New abilities:
- Action abilities: Flash Step, Vicinity Break, Aerial Dive, Magnet Burst, Auto Limit, Sonic Rave, Last Arcanum, Strike Raid, Infinity, Zantetsuken, Ripple Drive, Hurricane Period, Zantetsu Counter, Reflect Combo
- Growth abilities: Dodge Roll
- Support abilities: HP Gain, Light & Darkness, Combo Master, Drive Converter, Damage Control, Protect, Protectra, Protectga, No Experience
- New weapons:
- Keyblades: Winner's Proof, Two Become One
- Staves: Spell's Relic+, Centurion and Centurion+, Plain Mushroom and Plain Mushroom+, Precious Mushroom and Precious Mushroom+, Premium Mushroom
- Shields: Akashic Record+, Frozen Pride and Frozen Pride+, Joyous Mushroom and Joyous Mushroom+, Majestic Mushroom and Majestic Mushroom+, Ultimate Mushroom
- New armor:
- New accessories:
- Sweet Memories has Drive Converter as an ability instead of Lucky Lucky and has altered stats.
- Lucky Rings can be synthesized now.
- Scan is not a level up ability and is instead a Get Bonus for beating Axel the first time.
- The order for some abilities from Get Bonuses have also been changed around. For example, Finishing Leap is received instead of Explosion after Volcano and Blizzard Lord, and Explosion is obtained after the Solar Sailer fight.
- New cutscenes based on the Kingdom Hearts II novels were added and are nearly 30 minutes combined;
- On the end of Day 4, Axel pleads with the Organization to not have to defeat Roxas, but is threatened to comply.
- When Sora leaves the train at Twilight Town, Riku lets Axel and Naminé leave at Sunset Hill.
- When Sora discover Organization XIII in Hollow Bastion, the Organization discusses Sora.
- When Sora seals the Keyhole in Twilight Town, Saïx talks about manipulating Sora to Xemnas.
- During the Heartless invasion in Hollow Bastion, Xemnas enters a room in the computer room. Xemnas thinks about a memory in which his original self (Xehanort) talked to Ansem the Wise. Xemnas looks at Aqua's armor and calls it "friend".
- Immediately after the cutscene above, there is a flashback where in their castle, Xigbar and Zexion talk about Xemnas.
- After the Hollow Bastion invasion is over, the Organization talks about Sora's progress.
- When Axel dies, the Organization discusses his death.
- When Sora defeats Roxas, a flashback of Roxas being named by Xemnas is shown.
- After the cutscene above, there is a spiritual encounter between Roxas and Axel, discussing whether they have hearts before they say goodbye for the last time.
- When Saïx is defeated, when Riku talks about Roxas, there is a flashback fight scene where Riku takes on the form of Ansem, Seeker of Darkness.
- Riku and Sora talk about thanking Naminé before they battle 2nd Armored Xemnas
- All of the new cutscenes are fully voiced in Japanese. If viewed with English audio in Theater Mode, all characters are voiceless and dialogue is conveyed through subtitles.
- Zexion's weapon is revealed, a large book called a "Lexicon", which he can use to trap his enemies in an alternate reality.
- Character models for Buzz Lightyear and Woody from Toy Story are present in the game data of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, but are unused.
- The order in which the Secret Ansem Reports are obtained matches the order in the international release rather than the Japanese release.
- All members of the Organization XIII can now be fought throughout the story. Roxas's battle with Sora at the Station of Awakening is now a playable, mandatory battle, while the remaining members can be fought through the optional Absent Silhouette sidequest, which also unlocks their journal entry. All thirteen members can be refought at any time at the Garden of Assemblage within the Cavern of Remembrance, where they are significantly stronger than before.
- The Lingering Will appears at Disney Castle after the game is completed as an optional boss battle.
- The Mushroom XIII appear across the worlds after certain episodes are completed as optional bosses similar to the various Mushroom Heartless in Kingdom Hearts.
- "Theater Mode" - a menu where previously viewed cutscenes can be watched again with either English or Japanese voices by pressing and . A cleared Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories save file is required to view the scenes in Japanese.
- A new secret ending video titled "Birth by Sleep", a teaser for Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.
- A Crown, Bronze, Silver or Gold, can appear on Sora's head for defeating the following in any order:
Changes in worlds
- Many chests throughout the worlds which contained restorative items in the original game now hold synthesis materials.
- Twilight Town changes:
- Conditions to end the battle in front of the station have changed (either connect 100 hits, go below 30% HP, or battle for ninety seconds).
- Addition of Limit Form Mirror in the Mysterious Tower.
- Hollow Bastion changes:
- After the event scene with Sephiroth, a scene with Yuna, Rikku and Paine flying out of a hole in the castle wall is shown. This hole leads to a new area called the Cavern of Remembrance.
- The Land of Dragons changes:
- The morale gauge depletes at quicker intervals requiring Sora to finish the missions faster.
- Value of "surprise attack" spirit gauge has been reduced.
- Carts and rockets no longer reappear immediately after leaving the screen and returning.
- Beast's Castle changes:
- Conditions to end the battle in the Living Room have changed (either connect 100 hits, go below 30% HP, or battle for ninety seconds).
- Cogsworth's stamina depletes at a faster rate.
- Olympus Coliseum changes:
- There's an additional scene after defeating the water forms where Demyx explains the newly added Absent Silhouettes to Sora.
- The time limit for which Sora must defeat Pete while protecting Megara, has changed from 2 minutes to ninety seconds.
- Disney Castle changes:
- Enemies do not drop prize boxes while protecting Minnie.
- Timeless River changes:
- Changes have been made to the four time window battles.
- Agrabah changes:
- Conditions to end the battle in the street have changed (either connect 100 hits, go below 30% HP, or battle for ninety seconds).
- The battle at the Sandswept Ruins has changed (enemies do not drop prize boxes and the time to activate the switches after examining the monument has increased from thirty to forty-five seconds).
- Halloween Town changes:
- New costumes and music in Christmas Town.
- 100 Acre Wood changes:
- Time for Episode 4 changed from three to five minutes.
- Episode 5 rules have been changed.
- Drive Forms are available in minigames.
- The World That Never Was changes:
- Xigbar changes his gun movement when attempting to snipe Sora from above.
|Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix|
|Absent Silhouettes - Lingering Will - Mushroom XIII - Organization XIII's Replica Data - Roxas|
|Aerial Champ - Aerial Viking - Beffudler - Camo Cannon - Iron Hammer - Lance Warrior - Mad Ride - Magic Phantom - Necromancer - Reckless - Runemaster - Spring Metal|
|Cavern of Remembrance - Garden of Assemblage - Chambers of Repose and Waking|
|Akashic Record+ - Centurion/Centurion+ - Frozen Pride/Frozen Pride+ - Joyous Mushroom/Joyous Mushroom+ - Majestic Mushroom/Majestic Mushroom+ - Plain Mushroom/Plain Mushroom+ - Precious Mushroom/Precious Mushroom+ - Premium Mushroom - Shaman's Relic+ - Ultimate Mushroom|
|Kingdom Hearts Original Soundtrack Complete|
|Additional abilities - Additional accessories - Artwork - Birth by Sleep - Enemy renders|
|Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX|
|Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix • Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix • Kingdom Hearts Re:coded|