|This article is about the species.|
You may be looking for the ability or the musical theme.
Dream Eaters (ドリームイーター Dorīmu Ītā ) are creatures that debuted in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. They reside in the Realm of Sleep and consume dreams, as their name implies.
There are two types of Dream Eaters: benevolent Spirits (スピリット Supiritto ), which feast upon bad dreams, and malevolent Nightmares (ナイトメア Naitomea ), which plant bad ones. During their Mark of Mastery exam, Sora and Riku recruit Spirit Dream Eater to help them combat the Nightmares plaguing the Sleeping Worlds.
Tetsuya Nomura designed the Meow Wow; the others were designed by other staff members. Several Dream Eater designs were scrapped, but the Queen Buzzerfly was revived as a boss. A lapine Dream Eater concept was planned for inclusion at one point, and is depicted in the Ultimania. It would have fought using carrots plucked from the ground.
Kingdom Hearts χ
During the "age of fairy tales", the Master of Masters creates the first Spirit Dream Eater, the Chirithy, to assist and guide Keyblade wielders in their endeavors. The Master of Masters warns the foretellers that if a Keyblade wielder succumbs to darkness or vanishes, so will the Chirithy. The Chirithy support all five Unions, and though they are not subordinates to the foretellers directly, they work together with them to drive back the darkness.
Nightmare Chirithy proclaims that Nightmares like it exist to show people bad dreams, allowing them to sever connections and live freely, a concept that Chirithy is unable to understand. After a fierce battle with Darklings, Nightmare Chirithy absorbs them and becomes a monster. After being defeated, Nightmare Chirithy fades away.
Kingdom Hearts Union χ[Cross]
When the Chirithy and the Player meet for one last time, they are enveloped in light. Waking up, Player sees the remaining Dandelions and their Chirithys, who explain that when a wielder falls into darkness, their respective Chirithy does so as well. However, when a wielder sleeps, the Chirithys take on a new form and protect their wielder's heart by turning into Spirit Dream Eaters that roam the Sleeping Worlds.
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Despite Ansem, Seeker of Darkness's defeat, some of the worlds remain asleep. Yen Sid explains they are beyond reach of the Heartless, but they and their Keyholes are instead threatened by Nightmare Dream Eaters. These enemies attack Sora and Riku many times over the course of their Mark of Mastery exam.
When Sora and Riku return to Traverse Town, they learn their friends in that world have forsaken their Dream Eaters for their human Game partners. The Keyblade wielders also encounter the Spellican, which wreaks havoc before escaping to Symphony of Sorcery. There, this powerful Nightmare troubles Mickey Mouse until Sora and Riku come to his aid.
In a false version of The World That Never Was, Riku comes face-to-face with Ansem, Seeker of Darkness. The Heartless reveals Riku is a Spirit Dream Eater who spent his entire Mark of Mastery exam inside Sora's dreams. Riku battles Ansem, defeats him, and escapes to the real The World That Never Was. He then locates Sora's Meow Wow and uses the power of his Komory Bat to reach the Castle That Never Was. After an encounter with the real Organization XIII and Sora's successful rescue, Riku returns with King Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Lea to the Mysterious Tower. To wake Sora, Riku voluntarily uses the Power of waking and plunges back into his friend's dreams and defeats the Armored Ventus Nightmare. Reawakened, Sora watches as Yen Sid names Riku a Keyblade Master. He returns to the sleeping Traverse Town and reunites with his Spirit Dream Eaters.
Kingdom Hearts III
- "Look for the light in the darkness."
- —Chirithy gives a hint to Sora on how to save his friends.
Meow Wow and many other Spirits appear in the Meow Wow Balloon Link Summon.
Chirithy appears in The Final World, where it speaks to Sora and explains what the world is, and how Sora has been there before. It goes on to explain that Sora arrived there due to his heart and body perishing, but something is holding him there on the edge of death and life. It instructs Sora in what he has to do in order to leave before he disappears. Once Sora finds all the pieces of himself, it returns, somewhat annoyed that he is still hanging around. Sora offers to help Chirithy find its pieces so it can leave, but it informs him it does not "work like that".
Like the Unversed, Heartless, and Nobodies, Dream Eaters come in many shapes, sizes, and colors. They resemble real-world animals, and they bear emblems that designate them as either Spirits or Nightmares. While Spirit Dream Eaters are brightly colored, Nightmares are less vibrant. Spirits' eyes depend on their Disposition, while Nightmares' eyes are round, red, and lack pupils.
Characters that become Dream Eaters have emblems on their bodies in accordance with their roles. Riku, a Spirit Dream Eater, has the appropriate sigil on his back. Meanwhile, the Armored Ventus Nightmare has one emblazoned on its helmet.
Dream Eaters exist in the Realm of Sleep, where they consume the dreams and nightmares of its denizens. Nightmare Dream Eaters outnumber Spirits, which Sora and Riku must create by collecting the necessary recipes and Dream Pieces.
Spirit Dream Eaters enjoy affection and love playing with Training Toys. Their Disposition determines their eye color and how they behave during combat, while Paint Guns can be used to alter their body color. Spirits lend their power to Sora and Riku via the Link System, and they can compete against others of their kind in Flick Rush tournaments.
List of Dream Eaters
- Dream Eaters listed in italics are exclusive to Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD.
- Dream Eaters listed in bold serve as bosses.
Notes and references
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Yen Sid: "You'll recall, in your first journey, that you brought many worlds back from the darkness—but some never returned completely. They still sleep, cut off from all outside channels. Not even the Heartless can enter. But these Sleeping Worlds are said to have their own manner of darkness. They are called "Dream Eaters," and there are two kinds- "Nightmares," which devour happy dreams- and benevolent "Spirits," which consume the Nightmares. The Dream Eaters will guide you, just as the Heartless once guided you, to the Keyhole you seek at the heart of each world."
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance Ultimania, Interviewer: "Which Dream Eaters did you design yourself?" / Tetsuya Nomura: "The only one I drew myself is Meow Wow. I drew it basically all in one go, and didn't edit it at all. As for the other Spirits, I showed Meow Wow to the staff and requested that they 'please give them a design that is strange, charming without being too cute'. They drew for me in high spirits, and came out with one interesting design after another." Translation via Goldpanner
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance Ultimania, Mamoru Ohashi: "Of course, halfway through development, many Dream Eaters were cut, to my extreme sadness. Among them was Queen Buzzerfly, which began designed as a normal small-fry enemy and cut, but made a miraculous recovery as a Dive Mode boss, which is rare to have happen. By the way, when it was small-fry it attacked by sitting in the eye of a needle and spinning like a top." Translation via Goldpanner
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Ansem, Seeker of Darkness: "At the start of your test, when you struck out from that tiny island, you saw me there dressed in a robe. Immediately you knew something was wrong. So without even knowing it, you dove into Sora's dream. And you became exactly what that sigil on your back represents: a Dream Eater to protect Sora from nightmares."
|Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover|
|The Master of Masters - Luxu - Ira - Invi - Aced - Gula - Ava - Ephemer - Chirithy|
|Daybreak Town - Keyblade Graveyard|
|Black Box - Book of Prophecies - Dandelions - Foreteller - Gazing Eye - Heart & Key - Keyblade - Keyblade War - Lost Page - Lux - Nightmare - Reconnect. Kingdom Hearts - Union|
|Kingdom Hearts - III, II.8, Unchained χ & Union χ [Cross] - Original Soundtrack|
|Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory|
|Kairi - Sora - Roxas - Aqua - Riku|
Donald Duck - Goofy - Axel - Xion - Terra - Ventus - Meow Wow - Komory Bat - Mickey Mouse
Hercules - Aladdin - Ariel - Peter Pan - Beast - Fa Mulan - Simba - Stitch
|Xehanort - Ansem, Seeker of Darkness - Xemnas - Maleficent|
|Aeleus - Ansem the Wise - Even - Fairy Godmother - Ienzo - Nameless Star - Terra-Xehanort - Yen Sid|
|Mysterious Tower - Radiant Garden - The Final World|
|An Oath to Return - Another Key - Keyblade - The End - World Tour|
|Artwork - Bosses - Enemies - Items - Trophy - Songs|
|Valor | Wisdom | Limit | Master | Final | Anti|
|Second | Guardian | Strike | Element | Blitz | Ultimate | Rage | Light | Dark | Double|
|Sora's other forms and costumes|
|Merman | Vampire | Data | Retro | Lion | Card | Die | Santa | Armored Nightmare|
|Donald's forms and costumes|
|Squid | Mummy | Data | Retro | Bird | Snowman|
|Goofy's forms and costumes|
|Turtle | Frankenstein | Data | Retro | Tortoise | Reindeer|
|Dark Mode | Ansem | Halloween | Spirit Dream Eater|
|Lion | Retro|