(It's been a while and I don't remember how to use a talk bubble.) I've been thinking about how we handle the topic of synthesis on the wiki and frankly this information is messy and incomplete. I am primarily focussed on three related articles: Moogle Shop, Item synthesis and List of Synthesis Materials.
This is what we should do:
- The Moogle Shop page is the best of the bunch, but it carries a lot of redundant information already covered on Item Synthesis, which should be deleted. Buying/selling mechanics should remain.
- Item synthesis should be renamed "Synthesis" and be modelled similar to Item with sections for Item synthesis (KH1, KH2, KH3), Panel synthesis (KHD), Command synthesis (BBS, RCO; section will mainly link to Command Meld and Command Conversion) and The Keyblade Forge (KH3). The page will focus on synthesis mechanics and unlock requirements.
- List of Synthesis Materials should be moved to "Synthesis material" or better yet merged into Item. This needs information on where synthesis materials are kept (inventory v Moogle Shop), whether they are categorised as key items or a separate category (KH3, for instance, groups synthesis materials and ingredients in one "Materials" tab separate from "Key items"), and crucially the Collection List/Collector's Goals rewards. The current list is focussed on acquisition, but that is covered on the individual synthesis pages and the list has become so long that it is no longer useful. It would be better to replace it with a synthesis material category, separating by game, as we do with Category:Key items.
- Complicated topic but that's my take:
- The Moogle Shop is interwoven with the Moogle Workshop in KH, KHII, Days and KHIII. This information could be put on Item synthesis or "Synthesis" but I think it would be harder to find this way.
- In my opinion the Item Synthesis page is a companion page to the Moogle Shop page since it explains the mechanics that result in new recipes. In a way it would be similiar to a shop level page we don't have (yet).
- Yeah, the list of Synthesis Materials page should be merged into Item or dumbed down like it's the case with other lists like armors or accessories.
- That reminds me that the KHX synthesis items are still missing mostly. --ShardofTruth 19:22, 15 September 2020 (UTC)
The new Synthesis page is almost ready here. All it needs is someone to kindly write the lead and everyone to review it. Then, we'll have to fix the links/redirects etc.--TheFifteenthMember 13:41, 16 September 2020 (UTC)