Forum:"X is a Boss"
- (1) It is one of the bosses at Y.
- Ex: "It is one of the bosses at Halloween Town."
- Pros: Indicates world, "at" is common for locations, and works with the odd planet/city idea worlds have got. Is inclusive of Character and Monster-type bosses. Since quite a few bosses are optional, or are not necessarily fought, no verb is used.
- Cons: May be too inclusive, world may not be specific enough. "At", while grammatically sound, may sound awkward.
- Ex: "It is one of the bosses at Halloween Town."
- Other options
- (2) It is one of the bosses fought in Y.
- Pros: May sound more normal, and sounds better from "A world is a city" perspective.
- Cons: "fought" may not be correct. "In" sounds wrong for a planet, though acceptable for a city.
- (3) It is one of the Z bosses fought in Y.
- Pros: Identifies species of boss, same as previous pros.
- Cons: Is not inclusive of other bosses from same world, and is redundant to lead sentence.
- (4) It is one of the Z bosses at Y.
- Pros: Identifies species of boss.
- Cons: Is not inclusive of bosses from same world.
- (5) It is fought in the W at Y.
- Pros: Identifies specific location, combines more common phrasing with accuracy to city-world. Same pros of "fought".
- Cons: Pretty redundant to "story" section. Same cons as "fought".
- (6) It is fought in the W in Y.
- Pros: Same pros as "in".
- Cons: Same cons as "in".
- (7) It is a Z boss fought in the W at Y.
- Pros and Cons: Very specific, but redundant and non-inclusive.
- (8) It is a Z boss fought in the W in Y.
- Pros and Cons: Very specific, but redundant, non-inclusive, and "in" problem.
- W: Room
- Y: World
- Z: Species (Heartless/Nobody/Unversed/Disney/Final Fantasy/Somebody)
We've recently had some disputes about this. If we're going to change the style of the articles, it needs to be agreed upon in one place, and I'm expecting those who comment to help in making the changes across the wiki.
I think (1) is the best choice, based on the pros and cons I've explained. If anyone has more pros or cons to add, please do. Whatever the community decides, we'll go with, but I want the voters to help make the fixes, and not just leave it to Neumannz and me.Glorious CHAOS! 23:17, May 9, 2010 (UTC)
I say that we should use option 2, but in the case of worlds like Pride Lands, we insert "the" in between the "in" and "pride lands", which would turn out like "It is one of the bosses fought in the Pride Lands", or "It is one of the bosses fought in Hollow Bastion". KKD
I do not understand why we do not use the format that we are currently using, but change "at" when it needs to be changed grammatically. I think that most editors know when "at" or "in" will be more proper. However, if we have to select one of the above, I prefer our current format. However, I much prefer a more flexible format, as I have already stated. --DTN 01:35, May 10, 2010 (UTC) Okay, wait, I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. Is this about stating the above topic in one specific manner and only one, or is this part of some other issue, like a template? BebopKate 02:56, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm not entirely clear about the issue between using "at" and "in". (This is a problem I have with other pages as well.) It seems to me that "at" is most appropriate when dealing with landmarks (e.g. "at the Palace", "at the Haunted Mansion", "at the Clock Tower"), while "in" should be used with respect to, well, locations that you can "be in", including worlds (e.g. "in Wonderland", "in Christmas Town", "in the Underground Passage"). It seems that "at" is being used a little indiscriminately on the wiki. (Also, "on" needs to be used for, say, transportation, platforms, or the like [e.g. "on the Black Pearl", "on the Solar Sailor"].)
- As for the question at hand, I think the line should approximately say "It is one of the bosses/a boss found/located [insert appropriate preposition] Y." Possibly include specific location "W in Y". Any more detail is redundant, given the infobox. I don't think including "W" is much of a problem, especially for enemies such as Rock Titan or Iron Prisoner, who have no story section. --Neumannz 03:35, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah, pretty much. Though if you still have a problem with "fought", you can try a more general term instead. --Neumannz 06:41, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
- What particular inaccuracies are you thinking of? --Neumannz 11:11, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
- It could be argued for many of the bosses that they aren't necessarily "fought", either because the boss is optional, or because it's something like the Mushroom XIII. It's a very technical discrepancy, and kind of necessary if we use the "at W in Y" format.Glorious CHAOS! 18:02, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Well, in the case of optional bosses (not including Coliseum/Arena bosses, they would be covered by the "W in Y") you could say "It is an optional boss fought at W in Y". As for Mushroom XIII, I think they are perhaps unique enough encounters to be an exception. Although they've been given a "KH2FM+ bosses" categorization, I wouldn't call them that. --Neumannz 18:51, May 10, 2010 (UTC)
- It's barely even a discrepancy, and it sounds better to just use "fought" with no qualifiers.Glorious CHAOS! 20:01, May 10, 2010 (UTC)