Forum:Main page design
Heya! I have a request to make regarding your main page - could you take a look at User:Kirkburn/Dev and User talk:Kirkburn/Dev give me your opinions? I've tried to make it as close as possible to your current content and design. Kirkburn (talk) 14:42, 19 June 2008 (UTC)
- Long story short, I believe that majority of staff members would rather wait for all the mandatory stuff to be fully implemented so that we know exactly what we are forced to deal with, and have a better opportunity to create a main page design that still looks good. Else, we are more or less making semi-qualified guesses and are hoping for the best, which just doesn't cut it, especially if our guesses/assumptions have been wrong.
- For the record I would also like to add how total BS I thought it was when wikias were forced to use monaco is a default the first time around, and how BS it is that Monobook seemingly (as in, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it) cannot be made the default of a wikia for logged in users (both before and now). No offence... Thank you for your time. --Hecko X 20:12, 19 June 2008 (UTC)
- Yeah, I agree with Hecko that waiting is the best step, especially if testing with the reformatting is still going on. I can appreciate the effort, but I'm not too fond of that layout, as putting that image there is going to push the rest of that column waaay down when the ads go active. Plus, that's a lot of open area at the top in the Jiminy's Journal box; combining the quick access bar with the Journal box just makes the whole thing look redundant, especially with all of the characters listed twice.
- In short, that's a lot of scrolling, and my poor, old wrists have enough to deal with here. ^_^ BebopKate 20:21, 19 June 2008 (UTC)
- Fair comment on the increased length - I'll see if I can think of ways to reduce it. I guess the links could go back to a line of links, though I might suggest alphabetising them for ease of use. Regarding the image - it's really cool, so I didn't want to get rid of it :P
- Note sure what you mean the spacing though, there should be very little blank space - perhaps a screenshot? Kirkburn (talk) 11:52, 20 June 2008 (UTC)
- I've made more tweaks to shorten it, and added a featured media section. Kirkburn (talk) 23:24, 8 July 2008 (UTC)
- This change needs to go live soon - so if there are no objections, I would like to put it live by the end of the week. Kirkburn (talk) 11:22, 11 July 2008 (UTC)
I have made a few more tweaks to the design and put it live. It is only marginally longer than the current main page, but has more content (the help box and featured media). I hope it is to your liking! Kirkburn (talk) 09:13, 14 July 2008 (UTC)